Friday, October 15, 2010

Pardon me, have you seen my cat?



My first hunter pet ever was a Ghostclaw Lynx named Lolz. Thus began my lolcats theme of naming pets. Lolz is the reason that I now have Roflz, Ohai, Kitteh, and Goggie. Being a lynx native to the Blood Elf starting zone, she was an appropriate and beloved companion throughout Jag's early levels. Even after I tamed Roflz, who became my official sidekick for the remainder of my journey to 80 and beyond, I would often bring Lolz out of the stables to play.

Jag, being a cat person, used to keep a stable of five cats. Then Spirit Beasts came along, and the allure of their rarity and sparkle-shiny-moonfire-prettiness necessitated that I make some tough decisions. With each new patch, and each new Spirit Beast added to the game, I reluctantly released one of my kitty friends into the wild, until only Roflz and Lolz remained. Then came Arcturis, and after much deliberation, I sadly set Lolz free. I like to imagine that she returned to her home in the Ghostlands, welcomed with purrs and pounces by her lynx family and friends.

So the very best thing about Patch 4.0.1: with twenty stable slots, I can have all my kitties back! The first thing I did was go looking for Lolz. I found her waiting for me just across the bridge, on the banks of the Elrendar River, playing in the water by the lily pads. Yes, this is the exact, specific mob spawn of the original Lolz. First lynx on the left, when you cross the bridge into Ghostlands. I always remembered. When she saw me, my old lynx friend pounced on me joyfully. To an outside observer, it might have appeared as though she was quite angry and attempting to rip my face off, but I know it was all in the spirit of affection. She had a very nice visit with her wild cat friends in the forest, but she's delighted to come home.

And so Lolz and I set off across Azeroth, seeking out the other cats I'd released over the last year, finding each one happy and thriving in the wilderness, but glad to be welcomed back to the pride. After recollecting all my old kitty friends, I even added a few new ones, including a lovely angelic Ghost Saber that I named Spot in memory of my beloved real-life childhood kitty who passed away years ago. Blizz may have stolen my mana bar, but in exchange I've had all my feline friends returned to me. Good deal.

 Cheezburger (The Rake)

Srsly (Echeyakee)

No comments:

Post a Comment